Thursday, September 28, 2017

If ever I felt as though what I have to say is like a broken record in my column, writing about violence definitely fits that bill. Each week for the past several months, it seems there has been a story in this community in this paper that makes my heart break a little more and my stomach clench while writing. And, not every story of violence has made it into print here, but there’s been even more each time we turn on the evening news.

A 22-year-old, a kid in my mind, was charged with carelessly pulling out a gun and killing an off-duty Lee’s Summit police officer in the middle of a crowded Westport hangout. A sixth suspect, 19-year-old Ketrail Collins (another kid) was charged in the beating of a Domino’s Pizza delivery man.

In Grandview, just on Monday of this week, two separate violent acts occurred. Outside an apartment in the 11900 block of Newton Ave., a disturbance resulted in a 33-year-old man being punched and taken to the ground by a 31-year-old man, and then he was stabbed by a 25-year-old woman. There was also a shooting in the 6100 block of 126 Street, where a 19-year-old man and a 39-year-old woman were injured and taken to an area hospital with non-life threatening injuries. Grandview detectives are in the process of investigating both crimes.

I could go on. There are plenty more, but I only have so much space to fill. A few weeks ago, I received a phone call from a reader who, it seemed, almost demanded a plan of action from me. “You report on the violence, but you don’t offer a solution. I’d like to see something done about this,” she said.

I’m not sure I’m the right person to come up with a solution. Sure, I have some ideas of things that could help, like better mentors for our young people, parents who step up and teach their children right from wrong, harsher punishments for violent crimes, mental health awareness and programs to help those suffering from mental disorders, funding for rehabilitation efforts, and so on, but I’m only one person. I can’t be the one responsible for an answer to the violence problem, and, as a member of the media, I’m certainly not at fault for reporting the news, as some would like to believe.

It’s going to take more than me. It’s going to have to be a community effort. Neighbors helping neighbors. Until we can work together, I’m afraid it will get worse before it gets any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment