Thursday, November 15, 2018

My great-uncle Kenneth is the type of guy who would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. I mean that literally. The last time I saw him at a family reunion down in Arkansas, we were out to eat at a restaurant and I had goosebumps on my arms because I had a seat under an air conditioning vent. Kenneth, being the type of person he is, started unbuttoning his shirt to give to me.

“I’ll be fine, Uncle Ken,” I told him, though I’m not sure I was completely convincing. I guess he’s not one to adhere to the “no shirt, no shoes, no service” rules of dining out. Of all of my extended Davis relatives, I always took a special liking to Kenneth. This could have something to do with the fact that his late wife, my aunt Barbara, and he let me call them Barbie and Ken (which, as a little girl, I thought it most fascinating to be related to a REAL LIFE Barbie and Ken).

After my grandpa, Ken’s oldest brother, passed away, I noticed how similar the two are. Soft spoken and kind men, they also look so very much alike. Family men who love with their whole hearts, these two Davis men were raised to work hard for what they have and to take care of those whom they care about.

In the middle of his junior year of high school, Uncle Ken was called to serve in the Korean War. At some point, he completed his GED. However, this week, at 86-years-old, Bryant High School in Bryant, Arkansas, recognized Kenneth, honoring him for his service and the sacrifices he made so many years ago, with his high school diploma.

I’m proud to be his niece, and I’m grateful for those who feel called to serve this country. Thank you, Uncle Ken, for being the humble, caring, kind man that you are, and thank you to all of the men and women who, on Veterans Day and every day, deserve to be recognized for what they have given us. Happy Veterans Day, and may God bless every one of you.


No comments:

Post a Comment