Thursday, May 3, 2018

I’ve always loved a good birthday party. One of my favorite parties when I was a kid was my eighth birthday at Skate Land. I think it was the first boy/girl party I had, and I remember feeling like a princess as all my friends came to celebrate me that day. We likely had a Barbie cake, I’m sure there were balloons and confetti, and I have no doubt I wore something befitting an eight-year-old starlet.

The Grandview Community has celebrated the birthday of Harry S Truman annually for as long as I’ve been around. Truman’s birthday is May 8. This year, he would be turning 134. For decades, Grandview has thrown the biggest birthday party for Truman.

The party has changed some over the years, but the reason remains the same. Truman’s legacy in Grandview lives on, and that’s enough of a reason to celebrate. His childhood home, the Truman Farm Home, will be open for tours on Saturday, May 5, following the parade that will take place at 10 a.m. in our historic downtown.

Harry’s Hay Days will begin on Friday night, May 4, though, with a free concert at the Grandview Amphitheater. The Stolen Winnebagos will take the stage at 7 p.m.

Like a lot of folks in Grandview who have been around a few years, I was disheartened to see the annual festival move to the east side of town. This year, it’s back on Main Street, though, right outside the front door of my office.

Along Main Street on Saturday, you’ll find vendors, entertainers, arts and crafts, food trucks, and I even heard there will be margaritas (it is Cinco de Mayo, after all).

This year, Harry’s Hay Days is a community event, with several different organizations helping with the planning and day-of work that goes into an event to honor and celebrate our former President.

If you’re able to make it down to Main Street on Saturday, stop by and say hi, I’ll be around, likely with a camera around my neck. Michael will be here, too. We’re excited to celebrate Truman’s birthday with all of our closest Grandview friends. I’m just curious if there will be a cake with 134 candles on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment