Thursday, May 24, 2018

The transition into middle school has been tough for me this year. There’s been a lot more homework, studying for tests, hormones and drama, new friends coming and old friends going, and did I mention the drama? Sixth grade has been a roller coaster, and I for one am ready to see what seventh grade brings. Oh, and my kid survived sixth grade, too.

As a parent, the older, wiser parents try to warn you about the dread that is dealing with a child in middle school. They tell you what to expect, they offer advice and an ear, and then they walk away, shaking their heads with a knowing look on their face that simply reads, “I don’t envy you at all.”

It’s not all been bad. Fortunately, I was blessed with a kid who is incredibly passionate about others and has a heart of gold. Though, that is proving to be a little bit of a curse too, as he learns to deal with conflict and drama. Don’t even get me started on middle school drama.

I’ve learned to not press for information as he’ll eventually share with me everything I could ever possibly want to know about who likes whom, what so-and-so said about so-and-so on Snapchat, or the million other things that everyone else is doing. He’ll tell me on his own terms. I know more about these kids in my son’s school than I think I ever did about my own classmates when I was in sixth grade (and, believe me, I knew a lot).

On Friday, as Michael and I head to our seventh-annual last day of school milkshake date at Winstead’s, I’ll sit back and wait patiently. The stories will come, and my advice will be heard through eyerolls and sighs. The whole time, I’ll be thinking how lucky I am to have these moments with my son. I hope the next six years go well for him, though maybe with a little less drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment