Thursday, May 16, 2019

I hope I’m not too late in wishing all of the mothers a Happy Mother’s Day. I know from experience that, as moms, we don’t get near the right amount of recognition we deserve, so I suppose that seeing this a few days late won’t bother most of you. If your Mother’s Day was anything like mine, it was likely just an ordinary day with a little bit of acknowledgment sprinkled in.

I celebrated with my own mom a day early this year. We went on one of our “mother-daughter adventures,” visiting the birthplace of Ginger Rogers for tea and pastries in Independence. It’s possible that we were unaware that she was even born here, let alone how influential her own mother was on the careers of many stars like Lucille Ball and Betty Grable. Having served as Ginger’s manager throughout her career, Lela Rogers sought the best for her daughter, who became the highest paid actor in the 1940s.

Learning of this tight mother-daughter relationship was appropriate for a Mother’s Day outing with my own mom. We have always had a close bond, and I consider her one of my best friends. Like any great mother, she loves her kids (and her grandson) with abandon, and she would do anything to protect her family. I have learned from the best.

When I’m with my mom, our conversations typically turn to the hilarious. She’s the type of person who doesn’t take life too seriously, and can usually find the humor in most situations. She’s probably the smartest person I know, and is my favorite gossip buddy.

Moms are some of the most important people in our lives. Whether by blood, marriage, or friendship, they can come in many different forms. To all those who mother others, I salute you this week. Thank you for sharing your hearts, your time, your talents and your laughter with the people in your lives, whether they are your children or not. I appreciate you all the days, not just on Mother’s Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment