Thursday, June 11, 2020

I had every intention of writing my column about the results of the recent local election this week. I have things I’d like to say about that, which, honestly, are things you’ve all heard before. I’m hopeful that those who were elected to serve understand what they are getting themselves into, and that they fulfill the terms they will or have sworn to complete.

I could go on and on about this. I have before. However, I feel as though there is something more pressing affecting our community, and our nation, that I think if goes unaddressed in this space I will be doing an injustice to our readers.

Like many of you, I watched the video that has gone viral of George Floyd’s death in Minnesota. I had to look away as the police officer, with his knee to Floyd’s neck, nonchalantly, with his hands in his pockets, allowed this man to lose consciousness and die. It makes me sick, and I would much prefer to imagine a world where things like this simply don’t take place.

But, I’m not that naive. I’ve been around long enough to see racism first-hand. I’ve covered enough stories of injustice. And, I’ve written in this column that changes need to be made and those changes need to start in our own homes.

I’m just a white girl who was raised in a diverse community to love my neighbors and treat others as we want to be treated. I’m raising my son much the same way.

I don’t have the answers. I wish I did, but I believe the answer will be a collective effort from all of us. We have to work and live together, regardless of our prejudices or beliefs. Let’s get back to basics: the golden rule and the ten commandments. It’s not hard. There’s nothing complicated about equality.

No comments:

Post a Comment