Thursday, June 4, 2020

You might have noticed a new name on the front page this week. No, we didn’t hire a new reporter...though we may be looking for one of those as soon as life begins to return to a new normal.

On Saturday, May 23, in the backyard at my mom and dad’s home, surrounded by just a few special guests and our children, Joseph King and I were married. We had this date picked out long before social distancing and pandemics were a reality, and we decided that, if it was possible, we’d still like to get married on that day. So, we did.

The ceremony itself was very short and sweet (less than seven minutes long, according to our iPhone recording), but it was perfect for us. We read our own vows, and exchanged our rings that have been sitting in a drawer since Christmastime, just waiting to adorn our hands. My mom and my brother signed our license, and we began the next chapter in our lives as husband and wife. Hopefully, in a few months, we can celebrate with all of our family and friends, but for now, we’re honeymooning at home (and work) until we can take a real one.

Along with marriage comes a name change. It’ll probably take me longer to get used to than everyone else, and I’ll be calling myself Queen Mary King, because why wouldn’t I? But, I’m happy and excited to begin this next phase of my life with a man who loves me dearly, and even wears my favorite color (and talks about my love of purple in his vows) to make me smile.

This Mary got her Joseph, and she married him. It’s like a modern day fairytale story, only this one ends with me being the one who lives happily ever after. It doesn’t get much better than that. Thank you for celebrating along with me this week.

Yours truly,
Mrs. Mary K. King


No comments:

Post a Comment